Thursday, October 1, 2009

Chuseok Doesn't Suck

It's time for Chuseok again, which is Korea's version of "Thanksgiving." Last year I went with my ex to his family celebration in the mountain. It was a great experience and I learned a lot about the holiday.

This year I won't be doing anything similar since JH is out of town and he said his family doesn't really do anything.

But I have other plans lined up. In general it is nice to have a break from work and sort out my plans for a new job and moving. For many who work at a hagwon this is one of the few breaks they will be getting. So let's just say that Chuseok doesn't suck! The weather is nice and if you figure out where to go you can catch a few festivities going on. Either way the country is in a festive spirit. If you wanted to you could buy yourself a gift set from Emart with large bottles of shampoo, 3 bars of soap and other stuff for just 18,000 Won! For these are good times to be had.

As for getting around Korea bet on being in a car will be a hassle. But taking the train shouldn't be a problem.

Make sure you get your shopping done as Emart and other such stores will be closed for either 2 or 3 days, so hurry up and buy that gift set now.

This website lists which places are generally open and closed during this time of year so check it out.

Don't be surprised if your neighborhood is quieter than usual. If mine gets quiet I think it will be a grateful few days from the usual crap I have to hear outside my window. (List: Restaurants at the bottom with yelling Ahjusshies, parking garage beeping, other restaurant music blaring, car audio shop and general car noise)

Yes I can say I am delighted in knowing there are just 30 more days till I am out of my sh*thole.
I am! Even if it means I have no place to live but couch surf or find a goshiwon (small housing meant for students away from home).

Okay well Happy Chuseok people!

1 comment:

  1. Hey!

    Just FYI, I read in the paper gthe other day (sorry, can't find link) that because this year the holiday is shortened, most major chains will only close on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...