Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cake Decorating

Your birthday comes once a year, as we all know. In my opinion if my birthday isn't on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday then I don't expect it to be a big occasion. But no matter what one is doing I believe it is important to have a cake and blow out candles.

JH is away in Italy on a business trip so he can not join me on my actual birthday (Sept. 30th). I knew about a cake decorating place in my neighborhood and so decided we should go there. It was our first time at such a place. I recall seeing something about it on my TV and thought it would be a lot of fun.
Entering you are greeted with tables set up for cake decorating. There were a few people working on their cakes and I couldn't help but wonder what special person they were making it for.
What you do is order a basic cake, either a small or a large sized one. They frost it up for you first so to make the base for your decoration. Next you choose your piping cone that you will use for the piped icing around the cake. After you have all these items you can go over to a fridge where you can choose any topping, plus extra colorful icing.

We got to work first putting down a ring around the bottom of the cake.

They supply lots of pictures of people's decorations for you to get inspiration from. But I wanted to do my own thing. Mainly I didn't want to overcrowd the cake with too much decoration, but JH didn't have this concept. He really liked the fruity cakes with the fruit on top.
So I started out making this circle, but I think next time I will opt out of this design.
We both started to argue over where to put things, while at the same time JH made a mistake and accidentally punctured the cake. I fixed this boo-boo by putting a mandarin orange inside.
At this point the cake was a mixture of both our ideas.

We added kiwi fruit and more candy.


I have to say it certainly looks creative and overall the experience was a lot of fun. I have been trying to get my local pals into this place but they seem nonchalant about it.
Tomorrow I don't know whether to share the cake with my after-school class (and watch a movie) or share it with my friends for dinner. So far I am leaning towards sharing it with the kids since it would be a lot of fun, and would be a kind of mix of birthday / going away party.

Job Hunt Update: It's a ghost town out there folks, and mostly because I am being picky. One of the Yongin positions went to an F4 visa holder. I am still waiting to hear back on the other Yongin position. As for any new jobs popping up it seems the pickins' are slim. I have a feeling though that as the days ease into October more offers will come up.

In the meantime, I am making preparations for if I don't have a job which includes extending my visa and looking for a place to stay.

Every now and then as I read the job boards I see hagwon positions that look enticing. But I immediately get a bad feeling inside and realize that no matter how "good" they advertise the hagwon I don't know if I could go back to teaching kindy kids.

This whole darn thing has me kind of anxious, but thankfully JH has been supporting my effort to find a decent job. Once again.....we will see.

3 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun!

    I'll do it with you. Let me know if you want to go back.

    burtonite@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO what flavor was the cake?
    AND...who did u share it with after all?!

    Somehow I wish that you had handled the situation differently at your present job, so that the door wasn't completly shut on it, that there were amends made possible w/negotiation for a better residence....alas.....that's not the case at all...so moving fwd....
    Hang in there - - I suggest that you try a little harder to get out of yourself in those social situations like the post freeze dinner & Korean b.day celebration.
    It seems that learning more Korean would be v. helpful in your assimilation to Korean culture!
    Thanx for all the Korean B.day celebration info.
    V. interesting &
    I really liked the pencil case video!!
    I will try to include some from here in the package that should be sent your way sometime this coming wk!
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...