Sunday, October 11, 2009

2S2 Wrap Up

I would like to say that 15 people showed up for the first 2S2 meet up. In addition, I wish I could add that we mingled and met new friends. All the while sharing experiences and exchanging ideas for an expat community in Korea.

A few of us played monopoly in a cafe, while others went around site seeing. Later on we met up and had a little ranting fest on the tree-less nature of Gwanghwamun plaza.

And as much as I would love to gush about how equal the number of guys to gals there were at the meet up, the truth is that most of this is not actually true.

Only 3 people showed up, including myself and we didn't play monopoly (although I toted it with me). But that doesn't mean we didn't have a good time.

The three of us know that in the beginning there will be few. I for one feel that most people who read about us trying to put this together are skeptical, but really just want to see what happens first before stepping in.

And we understand that not everyone lives in or near Seoul. We agreed that if this got off the ground with more planning that 2S2 could be like a package. Give the "2S2 package" to folks in Daegu and see what they come up with.

Let's just remain with the same vision of building a connected expat community and what it means to us. And we can also discuss why this doesn't make sense and whether it is really necessary anyways. All in all, we have generated buzz on this through a survey and other posts so the idea must be floating around in your head.

Why not come out to next month's meeting, or we could meet via skype, and let's talk about ideas and visions.

For now the discussion can remain on the interwebs, and I would like to leave you with this idea I had:

A community garden.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm nowhere near Seoul, so I can't make it. But maybe Brian and I can make something happen in Gwangju!

    Additionally, I think 3 people for the first time is good. Plus, you sound kind of sully in this post. I recommend the attitude of faking it until you make it. Just say that it was amazing and that you had a great time... then people will want to join in next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy,
    Rob said you missed me :) I was actually taking part in another community effort of sorts - the MESSIAH will be sung this year around Christmastime! I'll post more details about it later today, but thought I'd perk up your Monday with some good news. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorrry that I sounded that way. But let's please look past that and just read the message not the messenger...thanks!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...