Friday, September 25, 2009

H1N1 Common Sense

Koreans do not stay home when they are sick. It is a fact of life here. Practically every foreign teacher deals with this on some level.

Nowadays because of the H1N1 scare I am hoping that Korean people will take on a new trend of staying home when feeling sick with a fever and other symptoms. But I know from experience that I will believe it when I see it.

CNN has a lovely article about how washing your hands does little to protect you from the virus and it more comes from breathing those airborne particles.

Kids love to sneeze and cough freely. In one of my classes you have some kids wearing masks. The unmasked kids are coughing. It seems the proportion is not balanced.

Anyways I like this last bit of common sense written in the CNN article:

This brings me back to my experience at my daughters' school. The e-mails from the principal said some of the sick children reported to the school nurse that they'd woken up ill, but their parents sent them to school anyway.

What's up with that? If your child is sick, keep her at home. If you're sick, don't go to work. Using that particular tool in the toolbox will go a long way toward stemming the spread of H1N1 flu -- probably more than washing your hands.

3 comments:

  1. Yup. I'm totally behind Korea catching onto the whole you feel like crap you stay home trend. By the way, how did you work out the tabs at the top of your page? I've been wanting something like that for a while and looking at HTML code and CSS is driving me crazy! Wonder if you could help me out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)

    I didn't mess with the HTML and used a template. I don't know anything about that stuff. But maybe a google search would help. I did that sometimes when I ran into a few problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up w/that IS people don't want to loose their jobs or a day's pay they need to pay bills. They also don't have anyone to take care of the sick kids so they can go to work sick!
    Messed up but reality of how it is right now in U.S!

    Maybe they'll come up w/some good solutions in Korea that the rest of the world will model.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...