Monday, January 31, 2011

My New Toy: GH2

Trust me, I am not one of those people who brag about their new cameras in public. In fact I find it really tacky when folks do this and wish they would check their egos. But today I am going to go against my own pet-peeve and brag about my new camera.

Through some miracle of America's credit institution I was able to find my next bright and shiny new camera. Turns out to be the Panasonic Lumix GH2. A snazzy new camera that features high-end HD recording, a set of interchangeable lens and a whole load of features I have yet to even figure out.

It's not a DSLR but a camera part of the micro-four thirds generation. Meaning it has no mirror inside, which is great because this reduces the size and weight of it. Although, for years I was tempted to get an actual DSLR I never could do it due to their huge bulky sizes and their heavy lenses. A year I ago I got the Canon G11 as a way to break the middle ground between point-and-shoots and DSLRs. But it didn't really do everything I thought it would.

I am really excited to have the GH2 and feel it is going to inspire me to make more videos and take great shots.

However, I am kind of new to these bigger camera's operations. The photography courses I took back in high school are helping a little with understanding shutter speed and aperture, but I am doing some reading on high-end digital photography to get a better grasp of it all.

The following are my test shots.

Test shots:
Using the 14 - 140 mm lens I went around the house and outside getting a feel for the camera.

Then I switched to my macro lens to see what that was like, and boy was it fun.



When it became nightfall I took the camera outside, again with the 14 - 140 mm lens, and experimented with night shots.

I even got into the black-and-white function a little.
In my room, I put the camera on a tripod and experimented with its different focusing options. A lot of which you can do with the touch-screen panel. A product of this is a picture of my eyes...I know cheesy.

Don't worry I got out last night and went to an event where I tested the camera out in the field and did some video recording. Hopefully I will get to editing all that soon.

In the meantime, enjoy this video which introduces the camera and talks about its specifications.

2 comments:

  1. You should pick up the 20mm lens. It's my goto lens for most situations and it makes the camera very compact. Also, if you get close-up lenses, you don't need to spend a ton of money on a macro lens.

    Enjoy! I'm jealous you got the GH2.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip...may have to save up for the 20mm. Hopefully I can get later in Korea. ^^

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...