Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Great Vacation: Friends and Steak

There are still a few more posts till I finish up with reporting on JH's vacation in America. The weekend before he went back to Korea I took him to my friend's house for some visiting. I thought it would be nice for him to get a look at how she lives with her family. I think he enjoyed himself playing with their dog and her kids.

Before we headed over there we met with my friend for lunch at a Chinese buffet. 


The food was good and JH sure did go back for more helpings. After lunch we went over to my friend's house. In her yard are chickens, a trampoline, a pond and a swingset.




We had a good time at my friend's house, but headed back home to catch dinner with my Dad. He made for us his famous steak dinner.




JH got along well with my dad and step-mom, and I was proud to see his English abilities work out. He was quite the gentlemen and good house guest, who even washed his own dishes after the meal. :)

3 comments:

  1. "He made for us his famous steak dinner."

    What's going on w/your English?!
    "....for us" belongs at the end of that sentence.
    I've noticed stuff like this in some of your other recent posts.
    I think it would be a good idea to try and understand why your sentence structure tends to often go awry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ""....for us" belongs at the end of that sentence."

    I think a lot about how “thee” uses a language depends on just who you are talking to around the world. In the United States, “’for us’ is found at the end of that sentence” because it is what we have been taught in our version of the ever-evolving English language, but English-mad Asia is quickly creating their own shorthand version of English peppered with new Chinglish, Konglish, Singlish, Tinglish, etc., words and phrases. Personally, I am quite fond of "Tex-Mex" as it is what I grew up using, and I, quite often, find myself even using quite a bit of profanity if I happen to be jawing with my close childhood friends. But it’s the same thing when I use Spanish. I use different versions for different people (grandparents/parents versus children or close friends). It’s the same thing when we find ourselves in different situations (formal versus casual).

    I think Joy (since she has spent a few years in South Korea) was mostly thinking of JH (and how she communicates with him) while she was writing this post and not about anyone else in the blogosphere audience, so that’s the way it came out.

    As I found out while teaching in a couple of Asian countries, just being able to communicate and be understood is great for both beginning and intermediate students as it builds up their self-confidence while learning a challenging new language that is far, far removed from Latin. However, if you constantly criticize and correct them without some sort of lesson/review, you might just lose a paying student or have them tune out in a public school setting. Even today, I still get e-mails from old students, and I make sure I don’t come off as their old homework correcting teacher unless they specifically write me asking for help as I don’t want to hinder their progress in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. I am going to leave that mistake in there but still learn from it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...