Saturday, January 8, 2011

FBI Christmas Present

I haven't mentioned it, but when I got back from our vacation in SF my FBI background check was waiting for me. It was a great Christmas present as it put my worries to rest. As soon as I got it I packed it up with a cover letter and sent if off to the Secretary of State to get the apostille seal.

Since this was my second time doing this process I thought I would share with you guys the results. The result page is kind of different from last time,  since I requested the FBI to put their seal on it. The new FBI background check result page looks very official. Below for you is my scanned copy, with of course the naughty bits blurred out.
As you can see it looks very official and certainly a lot better than what they use to give out, which was your fingerprint page with the stamp "NO RECORD".

Along with this document was a letter telling me about their new process and why they don't issue an apostille, but where I could get one.
In "official" speak they basically tell you to send your document off to the Secretary of State following their guidelines to get the apostille.

The big question for some is, "How long does it take to get the FBI Background Check back?" To put minds at ease this part of the process, from FBI receiving to coming back in my hands, took about 9 weeks approximately. Keep in mind this was during the holiday season so they likely had a few days off here and there.

I still feel it is important for anyone who is at a point in the Korean job market, whether thinking of renewing or transferring, to go ahead and get this document. You really never know if your school will 100% resign you or whether transferring will go smoothly. If you know your job is coming to end in say 2 - 3 months go ahead and work on getting this document. (It's good for 6 months anyways!) For sure it will make things easier if you get into a situation where you have to get a new visa.

Anyways, I hope this stuff helps other folks out there and I will let you know when I get the whole thing back with the apostille (about another week and a half).

11 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things are moving along & coming together nicely!

    Too lazy to look it up myself...been meaning to ask, what the heck is an apostille?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the great news! I also received my FBI background check right around Christmas. Unfortunately, I'm currently out-of-town so I can't get it apostilled until I get back.

    I had a question that maybe you can help me with. You need to turn-in your apostilled CRC (to the Korean consulate) before you can apply for an E-2 visa, correct?

    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave..

    I believe you do not need to turn it into an Korean consulate first. If you look at the immigration site this is an "or" option. Did a recruiter as you to do this?


    and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom: Apostille is an official seal for use in other nations..that's as best and quickly as I can describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joy,

    Thanks for the response. I am actually going through the TaLK program, so perhaps the process is different from if I went through a recruitment agency. I hope to touch base with the folks at the TaLK offices for some clarification.

    Thanks again and keep up the great work! You can now add one more loyal reader to your blog! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem Dave. THe new rules for the E2 can be mind boggling. I would do whatever the people hiring would tell you to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave..

    I called immigration. This is because my school thought I needed to take my Apostille Degree to the Korean consulate for a check, but turns out that isn't true.

    I think once you have your docs get the Apostille that is the last step. Immigration will accept that. Taking anything to the Korean consulate is just to get the notary for getting the Apostille. But you can get a notary at any place that notarizes..doesn't have to be the consulate.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Joy,

    Such a great blog! Question: How did you get your degree apostille? As much info as you can provide would be great! I'm in California.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chris,
    The original degree was taken to a notary store. The notary photocopied it and then using a secure document signed that document along with my father's signature (my family did this part for me), but you can sign it. Then the signed copy was mailed to the California Secretary of State along with a request form and some money. Google the website and look for "authentications" and you should find the details. The apostille was applied and mailed back to me in an envelope I sent them which was prepaid.

    hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What information do they put in the blurred out spots in the FBI check? Your name, adress, date of birth..etc. I am curious.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...