Monday, January 10, 2011

The Great Vacation: Cornish Pasties

The next day I decided to take JH around one of the historic downtown's in the area. Already I could tell he was mesmerized by the houses and lawns.


We made our way into downtown Grass Valley, where JH first purchased a box of cigarettes and then we headed over to a used bookstore.


JH found a food book that he liked and then we looked around more at the city's buildings. 

For lunch we stopped at Cousin Jack's Pasties, which specialize in a local tradition of Cornish pies or pasties. These are pronounced past-ies...like in the past. Not to be confused with those tantalizing pasties. 



The history goes that back in the mining days companies started to move away from river mining and into the underground type. They needed a big workforce for this and knew that miners from Cornwall, England were really good at it. So they brought these men and their families over here. Their wives would cook them these pasties, which were basically like a meat pie, and place them in tin canisters to take down into the mines. The canister was tiered and had about 3 levels, in the middle was the pasty and on the bottom and top were either soup or tea. Inside the mine the men would place the canister on top of a lit candle and the soup at the bottom would heat up, essentially warming up the pasty. 

I shared all this with JH as we enjoyed the local delight.

Sometimes you hear from Korean folks how they traveled to America and ended up not liking the food. Well, pardon me, but if you end up going to McDonalds and other pretty commercial type eateries than of course you are going to come back unsatisfied. That is why I took JH to this local place that had both history and a delicious menu. Accompanying the pasty was a home-made lamb soup. Yum! (I wonder if I can make these out in Korea...they seem very simple to make.)

After lunch I took JH over to my high school to not only walk down memory lane but let him see the difference between American and Korean public school institutions.
 He was extremely impressed with the football field and track, remarking how very few schools have such an item. I couldn't help but think how I took all of this for granted when I was there.
Of course I showed him around the art department...

Visiting the high school was fun and we checked out a little neighborhood nearby where I knew there was a point where you could look out over the foothills.
Then we headed to a grocery store to pick up a few items for the week. JH enjoyed the shopping and I showed him some eggplants.

That night, for dinner, I cooked up Tofu Jorim and this time made some jiggae soup. Although I think I didn't get the most flavorful of jiggae pastes for the soup. hmm

 The jiggae cooking...

But the family enjoyed it and I think JH got a kick out of eating a somewhat Korean meal at an American home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...