Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Made Tofu Jorim

Being home has many great benefits, one of which is being able to go out and get any western food and ingredients that I want. However, after living in Korea for 2.5 years I have grown accustom to their food and taste. I miss a great jjang soup or pajeon, and so have been having a craving lately for something Korean. Unfortunately, my Dad's small town only has Japanese, Chinese and Thai as their Asian choices. To get that "Korean taste" I would either need to drive an hour and a half to the nearest metropolitan town (Sacramento) or make it at home. I did just that and figured I would try a savory tofu dish that I enjoy quite often.

It is called "Tofu Jorim" and I found the recipe from "My Korean Diet." Finding the ingredients for this recipe wasn't too difficult. Most of the hard-to-find ones would be sesame oil and gochugaru. I thought about using cayenne powder as a substitute for Korean red pepper powder, but had a feeling it wouldn't come out right. Thankfully, as I was in one store today I found Annie Chun's Gochujang sauce. Sure it is a really commercial version of the real thing, but out here it was the best I could do.
First I made the sauce using the listed ingredients while adding several "squirts" of Annie's sauce. Then I sliced up the tofu and fried them till golden brown. After frying, you take them out of the pan and then pour in the sauce for it to heat up. Return the tofu to the pan and add sauce on top, while cooking more for a while. What you get is a great tasty-tofu dinner!



I complimented it with cooked rice and a packet of seaweed I found at a local health-foods store. Ta-da! Korean at home.

2 comments:

  1. Go for it! I was going to eat a packet of ramen I found at the same health foods store, but my Dad made soup..haha

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...