Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Notes From Camp: Week 3

Dear Camp Diary,
  I guess it is nearly time to say farewell, as it looks like there are just two more days left. What can I say? We had some good times there with the third graders and some bad times when things got a little nuts. Yet, the second week held up really well with the fourth graders enjoying the egg drop.

Here we are now with the 5th and 6th graders. They have been separated into two classes, which is probably for the best. I have the 6th graders, while the other foreign teacher has the 5th graders. But we get to sample both as the kids switch classes now and then. Seeing the 6th graders reminded me that the Fall semester is going to start next week, and it will be back to the regular grind.

Teaching the 6th graders is certainly less of a struggle since their English is way more advanced then the lower grades. I am trying to keep them active and to not get that bored look on their faces.

On Tuesday we did the drama activities and they really got into the "Create Your Own Roleplay" assignment.

I gave them a laminated handout where you pick out some characters then by the roll of the dice determine what the story will be like.
Then they wrote down the parts of their story on the accompanying worksheet. I was impressed with the amount of time they put into it and how well they worked together to come up with a creative story.
I guess I will mention that I designed these handouts and the lesson. If you are interested in using them just send me an email making your request.

There wasn't a whole lot of time left to actually practice their presentations, so if I were going to do this again I would have given them more time. Yet what mattered most was that I saw them having fun and using English.

I am glad that camp is at its end since three weeks is just too long. My biggest complaint is that our Korean coteachers presence in the classroom was minimal. Sometimes I would go back to the office to get something and I would see them browsing the internet. Sure I understand that we can do our job without them, especially if the students are 5th or 6th graders, but their attitude towards things has been very lazy. The frustrating part comes in that if I were to reflect the same attitude I would be the one in trouble. Despite feeling disappointed I let it go and tried my best to not let it bother me.

Positives Joy! The best part of camp was having my own classroom, even if it was just for 20 days. The other bonus of camp was seeing all the hard work and lessons I made come together and work really well with the students. I can see that I know now what works with Korean children and doesn't. Finally...seeing those egg drop creations fall and the children cheering in the background, was also spectacular.

The next semester is coming and Mrs.Kim will move on and we will get the Dude teacher. I hope Mrs. Kim and the other coteachers don't fill his head full of nonesense about me before we start teaching. I am going to talk to him before our classes start and let him know that I hope to have a good time and work well together. I am really dieing to say something like, "Whatever Mrs. Kim said about me...don't believe it." But I would rather him just figure it out as things move along.

Signing off from camp! ~BYE

1 comment:

  1. "just shoot me over an email making your request."

    This is not good English....!

    The learning/game materials & activity you designed & made looks v. well done!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...