It was bothering me today and I felt like I really needed to find out why and so I knew we had some open time in the afternoon. I asked my coteacher directly to give me a list of reasons why I wasn't rehired. To tell me what was said at the meeting to come to their conclusion.
With some hesitation she agreed to tell me.
First she pulled up the document on her computer that she wrote about my evaluation. She told me that she used this to show the other people at the meeting and that based on her evaluations they made their final decision.
She then went on to tell me the points she talked about in her evaluation. Here they are:
- Words (this is exactly what she said)
- Attitude to improve self
- Attitude with other teachers
- Working behavior
- Making some materials
- Teaching purpose / method
- Understanding students
- Free time (not class time)
- Control your mind (personal problems)
- Anger (emotion)
- Good thing = I like children
- Self-control ("We have to be calm during teaching time...you can't control yourself.")
- Relationship with Korean teachers (didn't look at their face, disregarded them)
- Manners are very important when facing somebody
- 80% Native teacher should do, be main character
- More communicative with KT when holding class
- Participate in prepare materials and putting them back
- Students could detect my mood
Truthfully though this shows what I need to work on as a professional person in the workplace.
But I really hope this shows future English teachers what kind of values you will be facing when working here and that, of course, they take it seriously.
Sigh... feels better to get that over with, yet at the same time was a bit of a wake up call. However, this is probably the kind of wake up call one needs before entering another teaching job in Korea.