Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Rainy Memories

Hearing the rain pour down in torrents made a spark go off in my head. It made me wonder why I hadn't noticed the rain so much last year. For some reason I seem to be more fascinated with the steady amount that is pouring out of the sky this year.

As I was just doing a drawing and listening to the pouring rain in the background I realized why I wasn't as fascinated as I am now with the rain last year. It was because I was working at the hagwon till 7:45 and was so exhausted I hadn't the notion to notice mother nature's fury.

I guess this all led me to wonder how I survived at the hagwon. This was during my first months here in Korea and I was experiencing so much. Mostly feeling tired and stressed out from the job. I recall constantly not knowing what to do or whether what I was doing was keeping my bosses happy.

It is one whole year since then and the rain reminds me of how far I have come. Although life can never really reach perfection this insight shows me that you can at least make progress.

Of course, though, I know these rains will bring the mosquitoes.

2 comments:

  1. There's always something that reminds us of how far we've come. For me it's some of the places I've gone back to a second time. I'll think to the first time I went here and think about what's changed since then....

    Now, if the )$%($| rain could stop my shoes wouldn't be so ($)@#*^%! soaked...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year, the rain came at night. Sure, we had a few showers but for the most part the days were dry. This time last year I was working until 9pm and the on the night shift with my daughter who was a newborn then. The wife slept 10-4, and I slept 4-10. Anyway... last year most of the rain came around 1 or 2am and went all night. This year it is the opposite, and much more like 2007.

    Last year was also a 'dry' year, and many parts of the country experienced drought as a result. Ever concerned with their image as a developed nation, the English Language press didn't report anywhere near as much as the Korean media did.

    Korea Herald.

    Korea Times

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...