Friday, May 15, 2009

Proof of Residency

Last week as I was about to start my Advanced class when my coteacher quickly showed a document to me. Asking "Do you know anything about this?"

I wasn't in the mood to look at and decipher one of those GEPIK documents that are usually vague. Often times I have to read these things a few times just to get the idea of what they are talking about.

So I told her to show it to me later, which she did.

Basically the GEPIK Coordinator is requesting that we obtain Proof of Residency from our home country.

Due to the request from the Korean National Tax Service, regardless whether one is object to or exempt from. ALL Foreign Language Assistance Teachers in Korea must submit their Proof of Residency (PS) for all administration related to tax purposes.
When she first brought it to me she asked me if I had taken care of this already when I first came to Korea. But I have no clue, due to that the Hagwon did all the paperwork junk for me.

The rest of the letter suggests I can get the form from the IRS and gives a link to the National Tax Service here in Korea.

So I went to that website and looked around for an answer, but got lost. So I just went straight to the part where you can ask them a question. Yet so far I haven't gotten a response.

Today I did a google search of this and came up with an IRS website.

Hopefully I can get this figured out before too long. If any of you know about this and what to do lemme know. Thanks!


  1. I have been dealing with the same thing. It isn't as complicated as it seems. Go to this website:,,id=137809,00.html ca

    Download the pdf file that says "Form 8802" follow the instructions carefully, fill out the form, and then send it to the address that they give in the instructions.

    What it is, is a form that the irs writes to a foreign government that gives you a tax deduction in Korea for 2 years. That means that you don't have to pay tax here for two years if you work for the government (I'm guessing that you work for a public school so that would mean that you work for the Korean government.)

    It is well worth it to do so because you won't have to pay tax. I am in the middle of doing the same thing. About the middle of February I had to fork over some money for tax, and when I get those letters then I can get the money back.

    Good luck in doing so:) If my link doesn't work just google "Residency Certificate IRS" It is a small pain in the ass but worth doing.

  2. I worked at a hagwon before a public school and was INELIGIBLE for the tax break. Check with your co-workers. It's possible you must pay Korean taxes.

  3. Thanks ~ I got that document and am starting to work on it. Darn IRS lingo~

  4. You have a two year window for that. It's probably worth it to just do the paper work anyway and turn it in to a tax office. There is a $35 fee. It's likely that co-workers in a public school are just as clueless about the whole ordeal as we are.


Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...