Sunday, May 24, 2009

The News Today

So I am sure most of you know about Korea's ex-president Roh Moo Hyun's tragedy. As I learned of this event I couldn't help but realize how much I don't really know about this country's government. Along with how easily I pass through life here without paying much attention to the inner side of Korea.

My first site of this event came yesterday when I was taking the train to Seoul. Sitting next to me was an ahjumma reading a newspaper. The front page had the picture of the ex-president and then text all around it. But the only thing I really noticed was how the ahjumma was spreading her arms out to read the newspaper. I didn't know what all the fuss was about on the front page. After reading it she gave it to the ahjumma next to her to read.

Not until later that day when I met up with Roboseyo that he told me about what had happened, and I made the connection with the newspaper. Elbow-shoving was immediately forgiven.

Now it is the buzz on the TV and the Internet. Walking to the bank this morning a group of older folks were setting up a shrine in honor of the ex-president. Under the tent was a table with flowers, incense and an honorary picture. I wanted to capture the moment with my camera but felt I would have looked like I was making a rude act.

I feel this incident, once again, exposes how corrupt and complicated politics and government can be.

What I really want to know is how Korean citizens truly feel about this and what effects it will have on the psyche of the people here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...