Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Know Your Korea

Today I went to my Korean class and when class got out I had dinner with some other teachers. At the table one of the teachers asked us all a question:

Does Korea have a constitution?
No one gave an answer and we all admitted we didn't exactly know. I felt really like a dumbass for not knowing considering I have been living here one year and studied Korean art when I was in college. But I had the feeling the answer was yes.

So when I got home I did a quick Wikipedia search and found the answer. They indeed have a constitution.

The South Korean government's structure is determined by the Constitution of the Republic of Korea. This document has been revised several times since its first promulgation in 1948
Now when someone out of the blue asks me that again I have an answer, and hopefully you will too. This also makes me feel like I should stop being such a passive person and get into the history, politics and social structure of the place I am living in. First I should stop reading so many blogs all the time, unless of course they are blogs that can teach me something. ;)

7 comments:

  1. Um, "a thing or too"?

    Maybe check out a grammar blog.

    [ducks and runs]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe that too!
    My Mom certainly would want me to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. note: that mistake has since been changed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed. It's about time we learnt a bit about the history and culture of this land. Trying to learn from the 'street' just doesn't cut it.
    You are so right about the blogs. Far from providing information, they all lament how unlike the beloved America this place is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh..

    it is still difficult. I have read several history and culture books from cover to cover and find that little sticks, and often because I have trouble keeping names straight.

    Sigh. Don't get old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right about the blogs. Far from providing information, they all lament how unlike the beloved America this place is.Matome Stephen Ramuelo -- until you've read all the Korean bloggers out there this is a rather unfair generalization to make. ;)

    For example, what did you do for 단오 yesterday? Do you know what happens on 세계인의 날? How about the history of 성년의 날? Why 부부의 날 is on 23 May? These are all events in May, and I've posted about all of them on my blog in the last ten days. Reading your comment about "all" the blogs here is therefore rather surprising.

    If Joy doesn't link to sites that provide an alternative view to life in Korea that's her choice -- and I'm sure she has good reason for it. (Not knowing about them being one reason!) But that doesn't mean we aren't out there! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First I should stop reading so many blogs all the time, unless of course they are blogs that can teach me something. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...