Monday, May 25, 2009

Swine Flu Hunt

Something tells me that the Swine Flu or H1N1 virus is starting to have an affect on native teachers out here as news of quarantined teachers starts to show up.

Not only that but just today my coteacher got a call in the middle of class.

Her: "Joy! Do you have the H1?"
Me: "What are you talking about?"
Her: "The pig virus, do you have any symptoms?"
Me: "No." (serious and confused look)
Me: "Why?"
Her: "Somebody is asking, there are some cases."
And she proceeded to tell them something on the phone and then we continued class.

I don't know about you but I think local governments are on a hunt now to check for any teacher showing "signs". Sure I can understand the concern for the safety of the children, but I know this search is going on in the typical frenzied way.

My real concern is that I am going to America on my summer vacation and am now wondering if I will be quarantined after my return. I am going to do some reading up on quarantine procedures so that if I end up in that situation I know what my rights are.

Good luck to those who are quarantined, especially if you are new to Korea and this is part of your first few months experience here.

**Update: 5/26
School nurse called our classroom and inquired whether I had been to America in the past month. Um no. You have seen me here everyday. Sometimes you gotta wonder.

1 comment:

  1. Not to be all dark and gloomy and cynical . . . but as far as 'rights' go for foreigners who are quarantined . . . I suspect that you do what you're told, and that's it. I don't want to imagine what would happen if you refuse treatment or testing, but I suspect it wouldn't be pleasant . . .

    I want to know how public schools that have big orientation sessions that last for an entire week with hundreds of new foreign teachers all in the same enclosed space . . . are they still going to do them?

    Ugh.
    Wishing you good health,
    J

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...