Sunday, November 8, 2009

Places

These are the places I have been around lately as I meander through my off time. Fall is settling in these days with more rain and cloudy skies. But here and there you can still see some treasures outside.

On my way into COEX I spotted this flower arrangement exhibition outside.


And then as I was making a transfer one day I came upon this Subway wall display. It was a fun twist on the usual industrial and urban wall that is typically seen.
Since it is typical for me to be home by nighttime I tend to not see the nightlife of Seoul. Now of course the days are getting shorter and so I find myself out at night. Here we were passing Dongdaemun on our way to Insadong for dinner. The area was lit up in fluorescent lighting.

The restaurant we ate was a well known place that specializes in black tofu. Sometimes I wonder how vegetarians get along here in Korea. But if I were a green eater I think I would find myself in the land of the tastiest tofu. They sure do it right and accompany it with great sauces and side dishes.





One day last week I was on a mission to buy a traveling book for my trip to Kyoto. So I stopped in the Gangnam station area. This is a look down a famous street known for pubs and clubs. I went around the corner to Butterfinger Pancakes for a messy bagel sandwich which I didn't get any pictures of.
On my way to the Kyobo Tower bookstore I passed by those new fancy towers, which have a huge touchscreen like an iPod.

I have seen this logo before and now finally have taken a picture. I would like to think they named the city after me but eh ... ya know.
Going up the street you come across the Urban hive building, which has an interesting architecture if you read that link.
I found my book in Kyobo and also bought the Seoul Selection book by the Marmot's Robert Koehler. I hope to get that signed one day.

Then I had the crazy idea that I would go shoe shopping in Myeongdong. Thankfully line #9 had just opened recently and is connected to the Kyobo bookstore. So all I had to do was walk through a tunnel and hop on the nice, clean and new subway.
I really think San Francisco could benefit by having a Korean company come in and just revamp their whole underground public transit system. The underground MUNI in San Francisco is half the size of these train cars. I totally dig the open spaces in the center that allow room for standing passengers. If it is one thing I have taken for granted living in South Korea it is the public transit system. Even on days when it is hot and crowded it gets you from point A to point B without many hiccups.
The shoes I am in search of are a brand from Spain that are all naturally made and in my open creative looking. Last year there were an abundance of them at the specialty store Oh My Sole. But I have a feeling that with the economy taking a dive recently it has been hard to import these shoes. So now the stores seem to have narrowed their stock to only having Ugg boots. Sigh~

My shoe hunt will have to continue just with a different brand.

In the area that I have been residing recently and temporarily it has been nice to walk around a neighborhood like setting. Most areas in Seoul are just gray buildings crammed next to each other with shops blasting Kpop music at nearly all hours. Any sense of "home" and peaceful quietude has been left in the haze of urbanization. That is why I tend to have a fancy towards Gyeonggi-do or any area where there are an acute cluster of apartment buildings.

Don't get me wrong, though, I do enjoy many places within Seoul and I am sure many live in an area that feels like a "normal" enough neighborhood. And I am sure living in Bundang amongst the greenery and space costs a pretty penny.

Yesterday I made my way into Seoul to check out cameras at Technomart and see a movie with JH. It took a few transfers but I got there.
We watched The Time Traveler's Wife which wasn't spectacular. I suggest watching it at home or I guess reading the book, maybe that is more interesting.

Exiting the theater we came upon this balcony area, which had a great view of the Han river.


There you have it folks the places I have been to lately. When I finish my stunt down here in Bundang I hope to do more looking around Seoul. Certainly there is more to see and find in that great urban enclave.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you may have come across the (mini-) Chrysanthemum Festival at the COEX Mall! ;)


    That is why I tend to have a fancy towards Gyeonggi-do or any area where there are an acute cluster of apartment buildings.

    I don't want to be mean, but the mistake in this sentence ("are" instead of "aren't") gives it the opposite meaning to what you intended. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm now I'm confused. I do mean to say that I like areas where there are clusters of apt. buildings. Because they are quieter and with parks surrounding the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, in that case, it should be "is".

    HTH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, perhaps I misunderstood then. After reading:

    Most areas in Seoul are just gray buildings crammed next to each other with shops blasting Kpop music at nearly all hours. Any sense of "home" and peaceful quietude has been left in the haze of urbanization.

    I thought you were expressing a dislike for high rises - including tall apartment buildings - in general, based on the 'urbanization' theme you mentioned. To go from "gray buildings crammed next to each other with shops blasting Kpop music at nearly all hours" in one sentence to "I tend to have a fancy toward [...] an acute cluster of apartment buildings" in the next sentence threw me for a loop. Guess the way it was written was a little ambiguous for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm I tend to often write in an awkward way .... got to break that habit someday

    ReplyDelete
  6. No time but the present...."Do not put off til tommorow what can be done today!"

    So here's one I picked up on...
    "...and in my open creative looking."

    What the heck are you trying to say?

    Simply stated..."and in the creative style I like (or prefer)"....is that what you meant?
    -------------------------------
    Whew....I'm glad I'm not the only one who points this out to Joy...maybe now that it's just not Momz on her....Joy will follow up!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...