Thursday, November 19, 2009

Osaka Visa Run the Planning

This will be my first visa run to Japan but not my first time visiting the country. As you may know last winter for vacation I visited Tokyo and had a kick ass time seeing the Studio Ghibli Museum.

For this trip I am going to the Kansai area which consists of the major cities such as Osaka (where the Korean consulate is), Kyoto and Nara.

I plan to stay for 6 days and 5 nights and 2 of those will be spent at the Korean consulate area.

It's a lot of fun being a traveler for you can pick and chose where you want to go. As if you are drawing up your own treasure map. For me I want to emphasize seeing the historical attractions and put shopping second. I recall spending some time in a shopping district in Tokyo and feeling like I was in Korea so I kind of learned my lesson.

What to do? Where to go? How much money to bring?

Last time I was scared of running out of money so I ended up having a big chunk at the end and spent it all in a shopping mall before I left. I feel like I am going to be hitting a lot of gift shops and areas where handicrafts are sold so I am considering bringing extra with me. Also I want to try and eat out more than I did last time, instead of buying instant ramen and eating inside my hotel.

As for sightseeing I have made a list of the major attractions I want to see:
Osaka:
Shitennoji Shrine
National Museum of Art
Namba street area

Kyoto:
Fushimi-Inari-Taishi (red gates)
Kyoto station area
Kinkakuji
Kyoto Handicraft Center
Tenryu-ji (bamboo garden / temple)
Many more!

Nara:
Todai-ji (largest wooden building)
Other famous place
Nara is kind of far and two days are already going to be reserved for Osaka because of the visa...so we will see if I get out there.

In this day and age many travelers like to take the fantasy kind of route and not really plan out their travels. A guide book and a map seems to be what most people find as essential to traveling. I kind of went this way when I was in Tokyo but found that I could have planed things out a little bit more.

That is why this time I am writing out where to go, how long it takes and what's in the area so I know what to check out before heading back to the hotel. Certainly I haven't planned it to the hour, for I am not that neurotic.

So readers if you have been to this area and know of a must-see sight or a great place to eat lemme know.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun. Eat lots of yummy udon to keep away the cold. Though, I'm not sure how cold it gets there.

    Spontaneity is nice, but I think planning it out with a bit of flexibility allows you to see and do a lot more.

    I definitely want to go to Japan sometime. I've always wanted to check out Okinawa.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...