Sunday, June 15, 2008

Video + Contract details

I made another video of my home, this time concentrating on how I live in it and have made it my own.



Well, I hope you enjoyed that. :)

Now onto some more serious matters.

Examining my contract:

It saddens me to think I have to take a close look at my contract and not have 100% trust in the people I work for. But having a knowledge base of the rules can help one understand what happens in the workplace.

First I want to make sure that I am working the proper hours and if I am making overtime then I should be rewarded. So far from my calculations I have not been working overtime.

Below are quotes from my contract:
Teaching days will be Monday to Friday, with a maximum 8-hour block teaching schedule excluding lunch breaks. The 8-hour block will be an average calculated based on the 5 day workweek schedule, consisting of approximately 26.25 teaching hours per week.
Further more:
In the event employee receives overtime payment or during the annually scheduled intensive months (coming up next month) consisting of one month in the summer and one month in the winter, the maximum 8-hour block workday may not apply.
And.....
Total teaching hours per session in excess of the base requirement listed above is calculated as overtime payment according to the overtime payment rate... Employee may be required up to a maximum of 5 overtime teaching hours per week.
My impression and digestion of this information is that during the "intensive" month period next month those extra working hours will not be considered as overtime, due to that it mentions in the contract as being "scheduled" and makes the base rate moot.

One of the main points my supervisor made to me last Friday was that my teaching schedule right now is not that intense compared to what it could be, for example during the intensive summer period. When she spoke about this her tone was kind of like it was offensive for me to think that my current schedule is too much when in fact it isn't.

After looking over my schedule and doing the appropriate calculations, she ends up being right. I teach about 6-7 classes each day, which are 45 min long except for two 50 min classes. During the intensive period I could expect to teach 9-10 classes in a day, the increase being in the morning classes with the youngest kids.

To get a better understanding I will outline my current schedule:

Monday, Wednesday and Friday:
*Symbols: Y = youngest M = 9-12 yrs old O = oldest, teens
  1. 1:20 - 2:00 Y
  2. 3:00-3:45 M
  3. 3:45-4:30 Y
  4. 4:30 - 5:15 M
  5. 5:15 - 6:00 M
  6. 6:00 - 6:55 M
  7. 6:55 - 7:45 M
Tuesday
  1. 10:40 - 11:20 Y
  2. 11:20 - 12:00 Y
  3. 3:00 - 3:45 Y
  4. 3:45 - 4:30 M
  5. 4:30 - 5:15 M
  6. 5:15 -6:00 M
  7. 6:00 - 6:50 O
  8. Phone teaching = 20 minutes
Thursday
  1. 10:40 - 11:20 Y
  2. 11:20 - 12:00 Y
  3. 2:00 - 2:40 Y
  4. 3:00 - 3:45 Y
  5. 3:45 - 4:30 M
  6. 4:30 - 5:15 M
  7. 5:15 -6:00 M
  8. 6:00 - 6:50 M
  9. Phone teaching = 20 minutes (not sure if calculated into total hrs)
Add up the hours:
Monday = 5.41
Tuesday =5.33
Wednesday = 5.41
Thursday = 6 hrs
Friday = 5.41
Total weekly hours = 27.56

*Now I don't know if that means overtime...because when you go back and read the contract it says something about
The 8-hour block will be an average calculated based on the 5 day workweek schedule, consisting of approximately 26.25 teaching hours per week.
I know I am weak in math, but it boggles my mind what the average is based on and how you calculate it.

So if anyone can figure this out for me that would be great.

I am about 60% giving a crap right now whether my work hours are actually an issue. I know it is going to suck a lot when they increase but I have been forewarned and it is not like on the day of they tell me about it. I expect for my July schedule to have the increased number of classes listed on it. Then I can PLAN appropriately. Since you kind of never know when information is going to be given to you I am going to make sure I ask questions about the schedule ...etc.

Well back to work tomorrow.




13 comments:

  1. Hey Joy! Unfortunately contracts don't mean a heck of a lot in Korea. I hope it all works out for you. Don't get discouraged, try to stay positive. The summer vacation schedule I imagine will be horrible. I used to work hakwons several years ago and I HATED the vacations with a passion. Now I just work kindergartens and privately. I'm lucky to be in a situation that I can pick and chose, and quit whenever I like as I am married to a Korean. So my visa situation is different than the average teacher here. I wish you tons of luck! If you ever have a day free on the weekend, take the subway out to Bundang and let's meet up for some coffee. =) Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the subway station is Sunnae on the Bundang (yellow) line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANX for the tour Joy.... Nice to see that you're settling in!

    The BIG question w/the contract (whether it means anything or not?!)is what does it stipulate re: SICK or PERSONAL Days?
    AND...by what procedures are you to notify them of same.
    Usually Personal Days must be asked for in advance.....
    Is a Dr.'s note reqd for sick days?
    Stuff like that.
    ----------------------------
    Cynthia Hi...thanx for befriending Joy.... I'm Mom back here in Ft. Myers, Florida, where Joy's sister & nephews(ages 4 & 7) live! Where do you hail from in the US?
    ;-)
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cynthia,
    I am acceptng that my first year here isn't as ideal and great in comparison to other teachers. THe deal you have sounds supreme and I hope to maybe find something like that in the future.

    Mom,
    We get sick classes and need a doctor's note. But I think it requires 24hr notice, not the morning of....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO what's someone to do when they wake up sick - or unwell during the the night before a work day?
    Did you ask the supv. about that?

    Doesn't sound realistic when you don't know 24 hrs in advance......that's another reason why you need to establish yourself as a patient w/a doctor there, in my opinion. So you can call the Dr. & it will be documented by the Dr.'s office that you called the Dr..
    Well.......enuf of that!
    Ciao
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re: This post has been removed by a blog administrator.


    Hmmmmm....did someone say something inappropriate?!
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi

    Someone posted an advert and in their advert made a rude comment about Koreans. hmph!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the link love!

    Your schedule sounds pretty hardcore. I can't imagine teaching even more classes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mom, =) I actually lived in Singapore for 10 years with my parents when I was university age, then NJ, and then here, then NYC, now here again. I just refer to myself as a transplant. My parents are still in NJ trying to sell their home but as you know the market is awful!

    Joy, love your cute apartment. You'll make it a home in no time. Yes, if you can accept that this isn't the perfect sitation for your first year then your 2nd year will be sweeter. It's hard to find that perfect position from the states. Once you're here and talking to people and know which way is up andhow you can get cheated, THEN and just then, you'll find a good situation. My first couple years here were miserable.

    Hope to hear from you sometime! Seriously though, if you're not busy on a Sunday let me know and let's meet up, I'm craving friendship LOL, I'm around kindergarten kids ALL the time, and then my boys (3 & 5) and the hubby is defintely the BIGGEST baby! ^*^ Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL in response to your post about sick days... I actually woke up with the stomach flu about 2 weeks ago and texted in sick to one of my morning kindy director and my co-teacher. Apparently my director went ballistic on my co-teacher. She went on to say that in the future if I am sick I must call her and that she'll bring me to the hospital, and then I don't need to rest at home, I can come to the kindy and sleep in one of the classrooms... hehehe, is she out of her mind! Doesn't surprise me to hear about the 24 hour notice deal, take it with a grain of salt and do the best that you can do. We are only human, and a lot of directors expect robots. Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  12. The video tour of your apartment is really helpful--definitely gives me an idea of what to expect. Is your apartment pretty standard?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi everyone!

    Cynthia~~ thanks for your responses they have been helpful with gaining a perspective on everything. Yes I think we should meet up. If not this weekend then the next, but maybe we can work something out. My bf comes back this weekend so I am expecting to kind not be aware of time going by. But I won't forget the need to make friends out here with other ppl besides my bf! :)


    ```
    Erin

    I would say my place is kind of on the higher end of accomadations...remember that it is called an officetel and other places are called walk-ups. There are also apartment living situations. I think it varies greatly...if you can ask for pictures of the place before you move in. But good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...