Teacher Joy's steps to ruling the classroom:
- Take away everything that is in front of them. If this means walking up to them and physically asking for their books or pencils, do so. Now their hands are empty.
- If one child constantly fights with another, separate the two. However, be careful who you put the child next to because he may as well just fight with that kid.
- Threats. I put their names up on the board and mark a star next to their name. Good kid = more stars, bad kid = erase star. This works! Because the good ones get stickers in the end. Also they can count who is ahead and be competitive.
- Keep a pace. Try not to have too many moments when you are dealing with certain kids. If so quickly deal with it and continue the lesson.
- Remember you are the boss! Fear is something that can be grappling, so just look it in the eye and focus on what you are fearful of.