Thursday, June 19, 2008

Love Story <3

In spirit of Amanda Take's Off post about her first meeting with her Korean boyfriend, I thought I would highlight how I first met BK. Hopefully without embarrassing him. It was back around February 12, 2008, okay this year. Anyways I was about a month and a half into my planning to go to Korea. So I thought it would be a really good idea to meet with a Korean for language exchange. In this pursuit I put up an ad on Craigslist asking for an Korean language exchange partner.
  • I listed who I was and my ambitions to teach in Korea. My age and sex and that I was a college graduate.
I received a lot of responses from both male and female, but I would say mostly male. I didn't expect to receive so many replies so it was somewhat overwhelming. My plan of action was to deal with just the first few responses, due to my belief of First Come, First Serve. Anyways, BK was one of those first. And not only was one of the lucky first people his email was also so intriguing and well put together I couldn't resist meeting up with him.

HI, Joy. ..... I have been in oakland for 2 months to learn English.

I`m majoring in business when I was in Korea, And I attended many institute to study English for a long time, I`ve had good relationships with many foreign teachers in Korea. This caught my eye right away, because it showed he had experience helping foreigner learn Korean.

......... I will go back to Korea in August. So I can help you when you go to Korea. OOOooo another good selling point!

......... I have books to teach Korean and learn English also. So if we use that book we can help each other. If you are intersted in let me know. Wow! You even have books to help me!! Great!

........
Needless to say I was hooked into his email. So we set up a time to meet on a Saturday at a Starbucks near my house. Keep in mind that we were also meeting another Korean (an woman) and he lived about 45 - 50 minutes away from my area.

The day of our meeting:
I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited to meet up with a Korean guy on this day. From all the Korean dramas I had been watching my mind was bursting with images of cute Korean men. So that day I tried to put on the sexiest outfit I could muster without coming off too sleazy. The weather was still cold out so it was one of my snug fitting sweaters and nice jeans.

We arranged to meet first at the BART (subway) station near my house. I got there a bit early and waited for him. At the meeting time I called him and what do you know? He was standing right near me! It was cute, I have to say.

This was when we first laid eyes on each other. After which my heart was pounding and my mind was spinning. At first sight all I saw was that he was tall, had long hair and was oh so cute! But being a lady I pulled myself together, said hello and guided him to the Starbucks.

At the Starbucks we met with K, the other language partner. We all ordered drinks and sat down. Next was a session of learning Korean and questions and answers about each other.

During this time my eyes kept on floating to BK and I think I was blushing a lot. But the real problem was that when I am confounded with feeling attract
ed to someone I end up being very flirty and also goofy. Yes, I did flirt with him. I wonder if he was flirting back.

Anyways, afterwards it was about 6pm so we left the Starbucks and went for a bite to eat. Yet during the dinner talk wasn't very much and it seemed everyone was more shy now. I thought that maybe everyone was tired.

It was time to go home and K gave us a ride home. First she
dropped me off at my place and then took BK to the BART station.

Later, BK told me that K said it is okay for him to meet without her, hinting on that she picked up we liked each other and wanted to give us an opportunity to meet up again. Indeed, I didn't hear from her again.

Our next few meetings:
We met again the following weekend for language exchange (BK and I). This time downtown in SF at a library.

The whole time he was helping me pronounce the Korean words, I couldn't help but stare at his lips! I was beginning to wonder if he was attracted to me, a
nd I started to pick up on certain hints he was. That night for dinner we went to a quiet pub and had some pub food. But the whole time we talked it seemed he was really interested in getting to know me closer.

It was getting late and he had to take the BART back to Oakland, which is dangerous at night. Instead of just parting ways, he walked me to my bus station. So sweet!

Anyways, our next meeting was more for site seeing. We met at Golden Gate park and had a picnic, next we walked around the lake. The whole time we t
alked and laughed with each other.

Needless to say sparks flew on this day and ever since we have been a couple.


Well that is my love story with BK and I have to say it is a pretty sweet one that I cherish in my memory.


4 comments:

  1. hahaha

    Baby I`m so ...

    Thank you for everything..hehe

    see you soon.

    Hug hug hug~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh...........Somehow I recollect advising you to seek a "speaking partner" to learn Korean before embarking on your adventure......Specifically suggesting finding a FEMALE speaking partner!!

    And....I don't recall my advice having any mention of "what to wear" on the occasion of meeting that person?! Obviously you figured that out on your own!

    OK......Glad it's worked out so well otherwise & that you're both so happy!
    Tho....maybe you would've learned more Korean from the lady!

    Now back to language study:
    Just like it's most often better not to have a significant other teach one to drive....maybe it would be better to have a language teacher other than a bf?? Time spent w/the bf could reinforce the learning!

    Yeahhhhh, who else but M. would post a response like this.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mom,
    Yes yes I know. I will see what kind of means I can go about learning Korean here. So far I have thought about purchasing some books.

    :) we will see

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...