Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Lost in the haze of teaching

I have been getting up at 7am and arriving to work at 9am and then coming home at 8pm. So that means I am spending a great deal of time at my job. I guess this could sound like a complaint but I am purely just trying to give you a picture of my what my days have been like.

The environment at work isn't all that bad actually. My other co teachers are very friendly, helpful and funny. Sometimes I have to ask dumb questions twice and it rubs them the wrong way, but things are going well. At lunch time I have been eating with the front desk staff. They eat the Korean food that the kids eat. I don't eat it all, except the bits like noodles and rice I like. I think though that they may not enjoy my company because I don't eat much of the Korean food. Wasting food is never a pretty site.

Other than that I fill every second with planning and re-planning. However, with as much planning as I have been doing I still seem to run into mistakes...forgetting to assign homework or taking their diaries.

I see it as that I will end up ironing out the kinks before I get a rhythm.

2 comments:

  1. Joy Joy - - Welcome to the terribly time consuming world of TEACHING!
    Of which I'm immersed in as you know.

    There are ZILLIONS of educational learning games online. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REINVENT THE WHEEL!
    I repeat YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REINVENT THE WHEEL!
    Planning a whole month in advance may not be the best way to go, at least not in major details....as teaching/learning is an organic process.....you will know what to do "next" from where you are each day, end of the week, after assessing the learning so far.....learn from your students what really engages them.
    Do you have computers in the classroom for them to use?

    Hands on manipulatives & paper/pencil activities that you can create on line, such as bingo or word searches are v. popular w/students.
    Go to http://puzzlemaker.discoveryeducation.com/
    THIS IS A GREAT SITE.....!!
    Easy to use formats generate great stuff!
    My teachers are enjoying it!
    I'll send you a whole list of other similar resources later.
    I'm really snowed under trying to get a new puter working & install applic. for my STATS class that's taking forever because of all the glitches a new puter can put you thru!
    My HS kids w/elementary grades reading levels enjoyed playing UPWORDS w/me. Maybe you can get some $ from the school for games like that or scrabble. Maybe they have them already??

    I have Tyler here w/me today.....
    TONS TO DO FOR JOB & SCHOOL!
    CIAO
    BIG HUGZ
    M.

    ps. GET A REAL BED ASAP!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi mom

    I know planning far ahead will take out the organic process of teaching. But I am just doing it to get the basic structure down (lesson) and then will change it as I go. I think doing it this way will give me more time to focus how to teach the class creatively on the day it comes.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...