Thursday, February 10, 2011

Korean Movie Review: Poetry or 시 (Shi)

The Korean movie, 시 (Shi) or Poetry, caught my attention after I saw an article about in the New York Times. Mostly, the article talks about the lead actress Yun Jung Hee who turns out to be widely acclaimed with a rich history in film.  All of this, has me interested in checking out films from the 60's and 70's with her in it.

The premise of the movie sounds very somber as it details the life of an aging woman who starts to write poetry but doesn't really know why. I have watched my share of Korean movies in the past and the ones that aren't too violent tend to capture a real special sense of humanity and suffering. Today I am going to give a review of Poetry, which I hope will get you enticed to see the movie and window of Korean life it looks into.

Poetry shows the tale of an old women and her encounter with a harsh truth in her life. Yet as she battles the sobering reality that her grandson is a rapist, her focus tends to be more on whether she can write poetry or not. Even though this sounds depressing and strange the movie is produced in a way that is poetic itself and also stunningly beautiful. A lot of it is shot in the country side and small town areas of Korea.

Yun Jung Hee does an excellent job portraying this character and at times you think you are watching a documentary.

I would highly recommend seeing this movie and paying close attention to the bits of poetry that is strung through out it. Although fictitious I do believe it characterizes Korean society and mind when it comes to crime and punishment.

Take the time out of your busy schedule and watch this movie when in need of something contemplative and calm.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joy!
    I saw this over the weekend. I really loved it. Thanks for writing up a review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah. You are welcome. What did you think of it? I thought the beginning and end were interesting how they were almost interlaced. Plus the way it kind of is so accurate with the way emotions are shown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review. I haven't heard about this fiklm, but I will definitely watch it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...