Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Packing is a Whore

Yes, that's right packing is a whore. Alright more like a chore. This is a picture of my premature packing stage today. I decided that I would pack all my clothes that I think I need to take with me to see just how much I am really trucking along.
It turns it to be too much, because I need room for all the stuff I am going to take. (Toiletries, folders, books, trinkets, mementos, shoes, external hard drive...you get the picture.) So after a session of going through it all and deciding what not to keep along with a trek to Ross for another suitcase the end results are thus: As you can see I have chosen to go with the squarish type luggage. These two vary in size. I kinda wish I had just gotten the smaller one at a bigger size, but after more consolidation I have room in both for more things. Here are some tips on packing:
  • Get rid of as much clothing as possible. This one is obvious. For me the thought was that I could find it in Korea and if so I would be able to pick up on the latest fashions. There were a few clothing items I had a hard time saying no to because they have been with me for a while and had memories attached to them. But I said to myself, that this trip is about putting things in the past...and to the donate bin it went.
  • Pack and repack that suitcase as much as possible. Curl up thin clothes into a kind of jelly roll fashion, so to squeeze it in there tight. Fold up jeans into square like fashion. I put my socks and undies in the zipper flap attached to the 'door' of the suitcase, so to save room in the box part. Shoes can be placed in a plastic bag and stuffed between clothing.
Those are my words of wisdom for packing.

During this process I created two piles, a giveaway an
d a store pile.

The Giveaway pile:

The Store pile:
Some of this stuff will actually make it to my bro's so that he has some things to use.

Well I still have the kitchen to go through and to clean up what is left hanging on the walls in my room.

Tomorrow's list:
  • Pick up Korean Won from Bank.
  • Clean up (see above mentioning)
  • And whatever else.

4 comments:

  1. no! one more thing
    meet bokwan.
    I will get there ASSP
    Miss you~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the best way to get alot of clothes into a suitcase is to lay them flat with pants on the bottom, folder below the crotch, laid out in every other direction, seperate next section by large plastic bag, like clothes come back from the dry cleaners in....next section are shirts/sweaters laid very flat....shoes in plastic bags stuffed around corners & under layers.....A LOT can be packed this way....the rolled up method seems to take up more room, except for stuffing empty spots.
    Cosmetics/toiletries, do v. well in double ziplock bags placed between layers, more plastic sheets do not add weight, but provide protection for clothes. Do not put bagged toiletries against sides of suitcase.
    OK....that's the method that does v. well for this "over-packer"!

    I'd store more & decide about giving it away when you return. Some of it may be needed upon return for reasons unknown now.

    LOVE from Pack Rat- Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm laying things flat might be a good idea...I will consider that. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...