Monday, May 26, 2008

Oh yea, I'm here to teach

Knowing that I am going soon to my company for training reminds me of one of the purposes I came all the way out here. To teach English to the youngins' of Korea. If you know me I am the kind of person who doesn't really like to work...I enjoy the slower paced times of life when the schedule you live by is your own. But obviously you really can't get by with out a job in life. So that is why I decided to have a job but somewhere different and exciting (Korea).

The only thing now, is that this idea and this dream are becoming a reality. Teaching to some may seem like an easy task, for you get up in front of a classroom of students and talk all day, then go home. Well my friends there is much more to it than that. I know from my experience as a camp counselor for three years that being around youngsters is exhausting both mentally and physically. They drain all their energy into you and you have to always be one step ahead of them. Now, I don't want to sound like I am complaining because for one this job is going to be way better than the job I had back in San Francisco. Indeed, when I find myself with moments at my new job here feeling tired and upset I know I am going to remind myself that this is way better than being stuck in a cubicle in a boring office.

My training schedule is that during Tues-Thurs I will be attending seminars in another part of Seoul. The topics range from:
  • Classroom management.
  • Lesson planning.
  • Effective lessons.
  • Culture shock and workplace conduct.

I find the culture shock topic especially enticing. The handout I was given about it so far displays a graph with a 'u' shaped curve. First there is the "Honey-moon stage", next is the "culture shock" stage and finally you come to a "Bi-cultural stage." I guess I am in the honey moon stage where you feel amazed and awe struck by your surroundings. They say the culture shock stage is when you can't stand your surroundings and feel home sick. Hmmm I hope I don't become too bitter when I get to that stage. I do look forward to the Bi-cultural stage...:)

The one thing I am scared the most about this job is my first day. Usually when I meet a pack of kids for the first time I tend to be really soft and warm. But they say it is really important that in my first month I establish myself with my students seriously so they don't run all over me for the rest of my time here.

I hope that some of my training will give me insight into accomplishing this.

2 comments:

  1. haha,don'worry about the culture shock, in terms of that theory when I got here I was in Honey moon mood but I`ve never felt like that and never homesick haha I think due to the time with you in here I didn`t have any space feeling samething like others.
    I really appreciate to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks baby,

    I too am glad we had that time together. It really helped me get confidence for my life out here. I look forward to you coming here and helping me see a part of Korea I may otherwise not see.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...