Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Haunting Bus Ride

If you don't like to hear sad or gruesome stories then quickly go to this site and feel safe.

I went to Jeongja today for a bite to eat at a nice cafe. On my way home I thought I took the right bus but ended up in Gwangju. It was cold and freezing out so I had a hard time wanting to get off the bus and figure out how to get home.  I finally got off and crossed the street and took a bus back to my neighborhood.

The bus ride was already 50 minutes out from where I live. As I was getting cozy on the new bus heading back towards home I looked out the window and admired the snowy scene.

Then something caught my eye. A blue small van was nose deep in a ditch on the side of the road. It was a moment that seemed to have slowed down. As we passed I first looked at a few people standing nearby looking at the car stuck in the ditch. (It was a big ditch by the way).

But then my eyes caught site of the driver, who had his head on the stearing wheel and wasn't moving. The window shield was cracked. The car door was open and it was easy to see it all. A man standing nearby the driver's seat was on a cell phone. No one was touching the driver. One last glance at the driver and I knew he was dead. It was a strange cold feeling inside me that let me know. I gasped and covered my mouth.

As we drove off I couldn't help but realize that was the first real dead person I ever saw. I also got a little upset that no one seemed to be really checking him, for perhaps he was just unconscious and needed CPR. But I don't know how long it had been since he crashed and someone came to him.

I just know that because I took the wrong bus and sat on it for so long that I ran into this tragedy. After seeing this I forgot all about my petty problem of getting home later than I wanted. I thanked whatever power there is out there that has kept me alive and prayed to be taken home safely.


Bus #60, I'm sorry but I don't know when I will be ready to ride you again. As for everyone else please be extra cautious out there. The roads are slippery...even if you are just a pedestrian.

3 comments:

  1. OMGosh.

    I can't look at accidents. Not just car accidents but any kind of accident/injury... it makes me cringe and feel sick. Ugh.

    I'm NOT one of those people who slow down to see the car accident. Ick.

    Sorry you had to see that. Ugh. I can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's moments like that where we really see how fragile and unpredictable life really is.

    I'm glad you made it back home safe and sound!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of those moments you'll never forget....However, I believe there are no coincidences. You were supposed to be there & have come away with a deeper appreciation for life.

    Alas....some spelling errors, corrections in ()s!
    "But then my eyes caught site (sight) of the driver, who had his head on the stearing wheel (steering wheel) and wasn't moving. The window shield (windshield) was cracked.."

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...