Monday, November 10, 2008

Music as Life

For some having a soundtrack through life is essential. For instance, my generation saw the end of the 80's and grew up in the mix that was the 90's. Rap, Rock, Grunge, Pop, and boy-bands. Depending on where you came from the soundtrack for your life reflected a certain taste.

Growing up in my Mom's house I was accustomed to hearing a jazz show at 6pm on Sunday nights. Usually it started with a jazzy train locomotive sound. I am sure if I were to hear that song at some point in my life, now, I would instantly get a nostalgic feeling for my Mom's pinto bean tacos. (Delicious!!)

To put us in the jazzy mood:


But as we grow and move around in this world, so does the music we listen to. Moving to California I went away from my grunge tendencies and leaned towards folk and indie music.

I am certain that everyone can recall a time in their life where a particular band or song, was the center of their life.

That is why I am going to plug in this book that was recently showcased on the NPR podcast All Songs Considered.

The book is titled: 1,000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die: A Listener's Life List

And I haven't really read the book, but I can tell it possesses a lot of information. Music has been around for a long time, whether it has been a folk song in a village or a piano concert in a hall somewhere.

As an expat I painfully feel like I am disconnected from the music scene I left behind in San Francisco. Although I didn't really participate much in going to gigs, I did listen and follow up on it through radio or from my brother. In general, living out here I mostly hear pop songs beating their way out of the shops. And it is usually the same songs over and over. I think I may buy a radio so to have more of a Korean selection.

Also, I think it would be great to get into the indie bands out here... I am sure it is there... I just haven't found it yet. In the meantime, I am doing a lot of downloading of music from this book's selection.

5 comments:

  1. It's funny that you mentioned that particular All Songs Considered, I have that one bookmarked. :)

    I know what you mean about feeling disconnected. It feels like I don't listen to music enough here, or my music selection gets stale quickly because I don't change the songs on my mp3 player often enough. I feel much better when I listen to music, so when I don't I get really antsy.

    I haven't had time to stay on top of the music scene so I rely on my friends back home and podcasts to point me in the right direction. Did you have a favorite radio station back home? You might be able to listen to it streaming over the internet. :)

    I miss my college radio station, which doesn't stream live currently. I grew up listening to NPR, so I revert back to classical music a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived around a few different areas in Northern California, and got use to a few public radio stations. Some do archives but others don't. Due to the time difference I can only catch certain shows.

    But keeping up with NPR seems to work. At least I think it is good to hear people speak English.

    Certainly makes you feel somewhat far away though~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd definitely be interested in getting dinner. Only problem is I don't get off work until 10:30pm if you don't mind getting a late dinner or dessert?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your memory is correct the WLRN (Miami NPR)radio show started at
    6p. with the train whistle music...but it wasn't an all JAZZ show ......he played "oldies" also...really old rock n roll music show, from the 50s & early 60s "pre Beatles"! Do wop, etc...
    The station played Jazz & "House Music" at other time slots.

    Here ya go: Ted Grossman's "Night Train" on WLRN
    http://www.wlrn.org/web/biography.php?id=32

    I also listened to this show:
    Evenin' Jazz with Len Pace
    Mondays through Fridays, at 9:30 pm on WLRN 91.3FM
    http://www.wlrn.org/web/biography.php?id=27

    ....can't believe these guys are STILL on the air on the SAME station!

    I still listen to that San Mateo Jazz NPR station over here in FL. We "finally" have some real jazz programming here on WGCU radio. I also listen to JAZZ from a few NY & NJ NPR stations.

    tweedlee dee.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanx for the video.......
    That's Paul Desmond on sax. He was my most favorite musician during my teens! I had some of his solo vinyl lps...that got lost along the way to the rest of my life.
    As u know I still have a box of LPs from the 60s!

    Check out my Facebook or MySpace pages, I have some of Desmond tunes in my player.
    "My Funny Valentine" is one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...