So I am enjoying my Sunday here at home without BK, because it is visit Grandpa day for him. And while I am cleaning up and organizing on the back of my mind has been some thoughts about my future. I have been trying to figure how to go about finding another teaching job for after my current contract ends.
Now I know it is pretty darn early and there is a lot of time till I truly have to face what to do with myself after my year here is up. The fact is I do feel like I want to continue living here after one year, mostly because I love BK and don't want to be in a long distance relationship and two I feel that if I work hard enough I can find a job where the hours aren't so intense.
With that said I know there are several options before me to live and work in South Korea.
- Teach at another YBM school. (Familiarity, possibility to chose better schedule and location)
- Teach at a public school. (Set schedule, higher salary, longer vacation)
- Dream job at a University (Need certifications or a Master's degree...)
What I know is that no matter which one I end up I am still going to have to deal with Korean management, meaning that your own personal feelings and worth DO NOT come first.
Some other basic concerns for my second year are:
- Nice living and hospitable space
- Nice area to live around (more residential - family like, or more cute and cafe - type)
- Rent free living
- Higher salary
- Still live in Seoul
- Standard schedule (perhaps 8am to 5pm, basically not till 8pm at night)
So I have been starting to do some research with public school programs such as EPIK and SMOE. Also I am asking around to other teachers out there who work at a public school or any other system just how they got the job and whether they like it or not.
If you happen to come upon my blog then please answer these questions about your experience :)
- How did you get your position at where you work here in South Korea?
- Do you find your job good or bad? (both maybe?)
- Would you consider a hagwon or a public school to be better?
- If you know of any web forums out there where the school's themselves post job openings - -- Please Share!