Sunday, August 17, 2008

Public vs. Private / Hakwon Dave's Esl chatter

So within my research I thought I would just see if the chatter over at Dave's ESL cafe would provide any legitimate information. Here for you are the responses I found reasonably suitable for contemplation.

Get into a public school. Work your way up. Use your extra office time to get a TESOL cert. and move up a level.

Public schools now start at 2.0 for 22 classes and move up at 200k per level till you reach the top then add 100k per year after that.

Add in 20k per extra afternoon class and even a newbie can pull in 2.4-2.5 + full benefits and not have the stress of a burnout hakwon.

I teach 28 classes of 40 minutes per week. (22 regular and 6 extra curricular).
I get 3 mil per month.
I (officially) get 6 weeks of annual paid holiday. Standard GEPIK contract - 14 WORKING days for the base + 5 working days because I work at a rural designated school). (as compared to 14 calender days in a hakwon).
(The reality was closer to 9 weeks last year).

I get return airfare paid out each year.
I get my severance paid out yearly.
I AM enrolled in the national pension plan. (gonna be a nice golden parachute next year when I leave).

I have medical (NHIC) coverage for myself AND my family (with a monthly premium of 2.54% of my salary).
I have a 60m2 furnished officetel.

Officially I have only ever presented my BA and TESOL cert. to my school.

BE CAREFUL when you only look at the salary as a number and not the whole remuneration package as a whole.

6.7 TEACHING hours per day (33.5 teaching hours per week) could end up being as high as 50 classes of 40 minutes per week and that would be a year in hakwon hell and you still make less than I do.

If you think my job is too good to be true then you can apply for it. I will be retiring (early) next March - there are 2 hectares of white sand beach front with my name on it calling to me.
My thoughts too! Definitely now that I am here and am building up the experience I can understand how there can be a difference.

bassexpander writes:

I taught at a "private" high school.

They are pretty similar to public schools, as 98% of their funding comes from the gov't (just a guess on that number, but I hear it's close). Private schools are able to follow a different set of rules regarding hiring/firing, nepotism (private schools are/were rife with it), etc..

The best advice I can give you is this: In the private school, the principal is KING. If the principal is good, the school is good. If the principal is difficult, then the school will be difficult.
I am definitely seeing this kind of attitude, the principal is well Queen at my school and we are her worker bees. But I wonder if it is any different at a public school, besides a boss is a boss.

I found another answer about public school details here:
2. You get much more holiday in public schools. However, you may still be asked to work during the school vacation; camps, developing teaching materials etc. In a private school you will have to work extra hours during school holidays as they run intensive courses. I hated intensives, but you can make overtime pay. Also the typical working hours will be different - public schools will be teaching in the morning, private in the afternoon and evening - depends on what time you personally prefer (I'm not a morning person).
This comparison seems pretty much my whole reason why I am thinking of trying a public school next. That is because of the intensives and that the teaching hours are mostly in the afternoon and evening.

Well that does it for me, I think I need to just let it all soak in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...