I teach a class that we just finished a book and so everyone got a new book. Not all the students received their book on time, but eventually they all did. This change of book set me up for the problem that occurred later on.
Today, I conducted the class as usual. The students keep their books at school and before class they go and get them from a room. As class started today it seemed they were confused about who's book was who and so checked for their name. To me it looked like they worked it out and so I moved on in the class.
But one girl Lucy confused her mom. It turned out her book was really at home. But Lucy in class was using the absent boys book... I did not know this.
So kid goes home, Mom asks how did you learn if the book was at home... kid was probably confused... and so Mom calls school and speaks to my Korean co teacher.
Co teacher than asks me what happened.
I explain to her that the kid had a book. We then figure out that she had the absent boys book.
But then things turned ugly.
The Korean co teacher obviously became upset and asked me questions like:
- Why don't you tell me anything?
- Are you angry at me?
- Why didn't you write their names on the book?
She wanted an explanation but all I could say was that I didn't do it, that I made a mistake. She had a hard time believing this, as if it is impossible for me to make mistakes.
The real issue here is this:
- I didn't put their names on their new books.
- I didn't tell my co teacher we started a new book.
- I work at a school where if a parent complains then that means you have opened the gates of hell.
- When I was confronted I feel I responded in a professional and calm manner. I gave my explanations, over and over again despite being asked many times. I tried to explain to the best of my ability. I offered an apology and I said it wouldn't happen again.
- Therefore I believe that I have changed my attitude when dealing with this kind of crap at my school.
- I am going to hear about this from my supervisors sooner or later. They are going to ask me Why and I will tell them but they won't be satisfied. Following this they will explain to me the importance of putting names on the book and keeping up communication with my coworkers.
- But instead of reacting angrily I will be professional and say "yes, I can". Also I will take a notebook and write down their words.
Anyways needed to get that off my chest...