Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Eat Kimchi, Teach English, Love

Yes, that's right. Last weekend I went to the movies with JH and saw Eat, Pray, Love. Although JH had scathing reviews of it afterward I leaned on the warmer side of the fence.
No I did not read the book but recall it in the hands of many friends and family back when it was a popular read. 

What this movie has going for it is the story and the scenery. However it was pieced together in a very banal and typical way. I enjoyed seeing the story of a woman who didn't accept her married life and decided to seek out the adventures she always wanted. She ate (a lot apparently) in Italy, found prayer in India and love in Bali. None of this became a surprise as it went along since the director made it all perfectly clear. 

Looking back I think this movie would have been more enjoyable (at least for me) if it were directed in the same manner as Lost in Translation. I think we can put Lost in Translation in the category of movies where the protagonist is off in a foreign country and finds themselves. I think this movie better captures the feeling of what it is like to stay in a foreign country. The feeling of not knowing exactly what is going on, what people are saying and especially the intrinsic feeling that comes with being a westerner in Asian territory. They touched on this a little in Eat, Pray, Love but they showed Julia Roberts picking up the language and customs quite easily. Sure not all have difficulties with this, but for the most part not everyday is a walk in the park. Lost in Translation better showed how we see the oddities of the host culture and end up fascinated by it. Julia Robert's character seemed to just see it all a little bit too touristy for my taste. More of "Oooo" than "awe."

If I were to relate the movie Eat, Pray, Love to my own experience of living and traveling around Korea and Japan, I would say I have done a lot of kimchi eating, teaching English and finding love. 
Of course there is so much to life here than just these three aspects. But I guess that will have to fill up the pages of a book someday. ;)

4 comments:

  1. I keep resisting this movie even though its like the only English language film in sight besides Resident Evil 100. Sigh. Maybe they can can combine the two so I can watch Julia Roberts blowing away Zombies while she lunches in Italy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yea it's definitely one of those movies you want to rent on a snowed in day and you have no real choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last pic is cute! Yeah I read it right before coming to Korea, but not really on purpose. I don't want to see the movie because I'm afraid it will be even cheesier than the book. Glad you liked it, though!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...