Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Office-tell Cooking: Yakisoba

I am still trying out new recipes and finding resourceful ingredients to cook inside my office-tell. This week I found a Yakisoba dish to make. This is a Japanese stir-fried noodle type of meal.

That is the end result you see up there and it did come out delicious. Let me share with you the recipe and pictures of the cooking process.

Yakisoba Recipe: Serve = 3
  • 1/4 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp canola oil
  • 1 tbsp chile paste ( I ended up not having any)
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts halves ---> cut into 1" cubes
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 onion, sliced lengthwise into eighths
  • 1/4 med. head cabbage, coarsely chopped
  • 1 carrot coarsely chopped (or matchstick style)
  • 1/4 lb or a third of a package of soba noodles, cooked & drained (see further instructions)
How to:
  1. Soba noodles: After this first time making it I believe it is better to prepare the noodles before cooking the veggies and meat. So first chop up the veggies and meat then prepare the noodles. Put noodles in boiling water and stir gently. Lower heat to simmer and cook about 7 minutes. Drain noodles in a colander.  Put back in pot & fill w/ cold water. Once noodles and & pot are cold wash the noodles by taking them by your hands and rubbing them under the water, gently. Try to wash off any trace of starchiness. When done water should be clear. Drain them and set aside.
  2. In a med-large skillet combine sesame oil, canola oil & chili paste. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Add garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds. 
  3. Add chicken & 1/4 cup soy sauce (or less to save some for the veggies) and stir-fry till chicken is no longer pink. Remove mixture from pan.
  4. In same pan combine the onion, cabbage & carrots. Stir fry till cabbage begins to wilt (can add spices)
  5. Stir remaining soy sauce cooked noodles & chicken. Mix to blend
  6. Serve
*You can add bean sprouts and top with green onions.

Now let's look at some pictures of the process.
View of the chopped up veggies and meat. (Carrots are to the side)

The soba noodles I used. I think next time I am going to find a thin Japanese noodle type.
Stir-frying~
I added mushrooms to this dish.

This dish was really easy to make, however I think I put too much soy sauce in at the beginning since it tasted too salty. Also I felt I could have enjoyed it without the noodles and just the chicken and veggies. Altogether a simple meal to make and very tasty. Now to figure out a proper side dish. (I know Korea has a ton of side dishes...I was thinking Miso Soup).  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...