Monday, May 31, 2010

Luggage Storage

Thought I would follow up with that investigation I was making into whether I could store luggage at the SFO airport while I travel to Florida and back. The reason being is that I am stuck with the dilemma of whether to take one or two suitcases.

These days you have to worry about checked-baggage fees, and overweight charges. I don't truly plan on buying a ton of stuff, like I did last time. However, I know that I will want to buy things if I see it and need it, like jeans or shoes. Something tells me it would just be safe to bring an extra suitcase.

The airline carrier I am taking to Florida and back charges for checked baggage. Twenty-five dollars a piece, to be exact. That means that by the time I get back to California I will have spent $100 on my luggage. I know I won't need both pieces of luggage when I am in Florida and it is going to be a pain-in-the-ass to lug both of them around while I am there. This leads into why I am checking whether I can leave one behind at SFO while I travel.

A good old google search has proved helpful. At the SFO website:
Baggage storage is exclusively available at the Airport Travel Agency, located on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102. The Airport Travel Agency is open daily from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. No reservations are required for baggage storage. All baggage is x-rayed prior to storage.
Rates are assessed per each 24 hour period that an article is in storage (articles in storage for less than 24 hours will be subject to the 24 hour rate), and vary according to the size of the object.
Please contact the Airport Travel Agency at 650.877.0422 or CF.Airport@gmail.com for additional information.

But how much??? I found this website that provides a good estimate.
It offers storage for $7 to $15 per day depending on the size of items you are storing.  There is no limit on how long you can leave them there and odd-shaped items, such as guitars, are accepted.

Let's do the math:
  • Take both to Florida and back: $100
  • Leave one Behind in storage: $50 (taking on plane) + $105 (7 days storage at max price) = $155
 Wow~ Looks like hauling both of them around for the whole trip will be the cheapest option. So much for that idea! I guess I should really think about the size of the suitcases I take and whether I really need two large-sized pieces.  

2 comments:

  1. Know anyone in SF who will store it for you at their place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of but it would be a bit of a hassle. Something to consider.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...