Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Public School Buzz

Just learned that for the next year (2011) the English program will again change at Public Elementary Schools here in Korea.

The gist of it is that 5th & 6th graders will learn English 3x a week and get new books. That means schools will need more Korean and Foreign coteachers.

As of right now I don't know if I will be at this school next year but the thought of that change gives me shivers. For one this school  has no English classroom and doesn't plan on building one. Two, the English Teacher's office could not fit another body in here.

My coteacher suggested that they will talk to the Principal about this and that it would be better to spread us out for each class level so not to mix us up and somehow make the necessary space. Whatever the plan will be this school really needs to consider the situation and get on top of it. But my contract finishes in December so I could always move on to somewhere more suited for the changes (or just a completely different teaching gig altogether).

Actually we were going to have an English classroom built in the old auditorium. But they just recently changed that for the afterschool English program. This is some program run by an outside source and I have nothing to do with it.


Something tells me the public school system is trying to compete more strongly with hagwons. We'll see!

2 comments:

  1. Word on the street is that the government had wanted to replace the entire English curriculum this year, not just the 3rd and 4th grade curriculum, but couldn't finish everything in time. It's probably for the best; things are chaotic enough at my school with the changes made to 3rd and 4th grade.

    This is the first I've heard about 5th and 6th graders being taught three times a week. It's interesting, although not all together surprising given that the littles are having English more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I can't believe that the school is ill prepared for the extra classes and that the government only gives the books and no other materials (cards...etc). Also no new English manual.

    But then I remember I am in Korea and if things were launched in one complete package with only a few hitches than that would mean miracles really do come true.

    All I have to say is that I like that they are giving the kids new material and shiny new books that were so outdated. But the lessons are still crap and we still have to re-invent the wheel.

    Ah well! Certainly makes it clear that Native Teachers will be highly needed.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...