Have no fear for the 배수관청소기, or as I like to call it the, "Korean Hand Drain-Snake." Well, you can call it whatever you want but this thing really helps in this situation.
Where to Find:
- I found mine at the Daiso shop inside Lotte Mart. So you can find these inside a Daiso, which are located around Korea. Also I hear that folks sell them on the subway, so if you see someone peddling them it might be your easy chance to get one. This one cost just 1,000 Won.
How To Use:
- It's pretty straightforward.
- Shove this thing down the clogged drain and then pull it out.
CAUTION: Be prepared to be grossed out by what comes up. Out of mine came hair and clumps of very dark mud. To help yourself from not getting too dirty wear gloves and have a bucket ready to scrap off the excess into. (JH helped me in this picture and he opted not to wear gloves.)
- Put the thing in and out a few times.
- Before pulling it out make it go up and down, trying to scrap up many particles.
- After several times give the area a rinse and you will notice the water going straight down, unlike before.
- Clean everything up.
- You can save the "Snake" for another time or recycle it. (Usually meant for just a couple of uses.)