First let's look at the White Day part of this adventure.
Before I went into Seoul to see BK I walked around my town and took snapshots of the White Day sales going on outside the Marts. Out front they were selling gift sets of chocolate and other candies.
St. Patrick's Day Festivities: Outsider / Insider
We arrived at the park and could tell we were there due to seeing people walking around with green balloons. Stepping further into the park you couldn't help but feel like you were stepping out of Seoul.
There were so many Westerners that it felt like I wasn't in Korea anymore. This felt very strange and was very difficult to shake off. BK too was a bit taken back by being inside this ring of westerners.
Also, I immediately felt shorter! There were so many tall people around.
Some individuals found comfort up in a tree. BK was very alarmed at this site and wished they would get down. BK's reaction was that he felt like he was back in America. He was surprised that Westerners just like to drink while standing around and talking.
Slowly we made our way towards the exit. On the way we saw the stage where there were performers. And near the stage was a tent giving away free cups of Guinness beer. BK picked up a cup, but found the taste dissatisfying.
Then we headed to Indeogwan for that lamb galbi dinner that we love. To our surprise the restaurant was set up differently when we walked in, now the tables are not the sit-on-the-ground kind. Also the side dishes were more plentiful and delicious! Overall, it was still a great meal as always.
I've been in Korea for exactly two weeks now. So, when I agreed to go with a friend to meet her friends who wanted to attend the St. Patrick's Day parade I didn't expect what I got.
ReplyDeleteI was blown away by how many westerners there were in one place. I'm not a fan of drunk westerners. I felt like I was going crazy because I felt so aware of that fact that the people were foreigners. Back in the USA I would of never felt that way. Craziness.
Hi ya~ ! hey if ya ever wanna get together and do some geeky artsy non drinking crazy stuff let me know!
ReplyDeleteMy destination was Hyewha station which is in the northern part of Seoul.
ReplyDeleteJust thought I'd point out that Hyehwa Station is located in Daehagno, which is part of Jongno-gu and Seodaemun-gu. As such, it's more in central Seoul than in northern Seoul. To put things into perspective, I have to take the subway for 45 minutes heading south before I reach Jongno-gu. :)