Through some miracle of America's credit institution I was able to find my next bright and shiny new camera. Turns out to be the Panasonic Lumix GH2. A snazzy new camera that features high-end HD recording, a set of interchangeable lens and a whole load of features I have yet to even figure out.
It's not a DSLR but a camera part of the micro-four thirds generation. Meaning it has no mirror inside, which is great because this reduces the size and weight of it. Although, for years I was tempted to get an actual DSLR I never could do it due to their huge bulky sizes and their heavy lenses. A year I ago I got the Canon G11 as a way to break the middle ground between point-and-shoots and DSLRs. But it didn't really do everything I thought it would.
I am really excited to have the GH2 and feel it is going to inspire me to make more videos and take great shots.
However, I am kind of new to these bigger camera's operations. The photography courses I took back in high school are helping a little with understanding shutter speed and aperture, but I am doing some reading on high-end digital photography to get a better grasp of it all.
The following are my test shots.
Test shots:
Using the 14 - 140 mm lens I went around the house and outside getting a feel for the camera.
Then I switched to my macro lens to see what that was like, and boy was it fun.
When it became nightfall I took the camera outside, again with the 14 - 140 mm lens, and experimented with night shots.
I even got into the black-and-white function a little.
In my room, I put the camera on a tripod and experimented with its different focusing options. A lot of which you can do with the touch-screen panel. A product of this is a picture of my eyes...I know cheesy.
Don't worry I got out last night and went to an event where I tested the camera out in the field and did some video recording. Hopefully I will get to editing all that soon.
In the meantime, enjoy this video which introduces the camera and talks about its specifications.

You should pick up the 20mm lens. It's my goto lens for most situations and it makes the camera very compact. Also, if you get close-up lenses, you don't need to spend a ton of money on a macro lens.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy! I'm jealous you got the GH2.
Dan
Thanks for the tip...may have to save up for the 20mm. Hopefully I can get later in Korea. ^^
ReplyDelete